Saturday 20 July 2013

Review: Digital Fortress


Digital Fortress


Digital Fortress by Dan Brown
Publisher:
Corgi (Transworld)
Released: 1998
Pages: 510
Genre: Suspense, Thriller

Synopsis
When the NSA's invincible code-breaking machine encounters a mysterious code it cannot break, the agency calls its head cryptographer, Susan Fletcher, a brilliant and beautiful mathematician. What she uncovers sends shock waves through the corridors of power. The NSA is being held hostage ... not by guns or bombs, but by a code so ingeniously complex that if released it would cripple U.S. intelligence. Caught in an accelerating tempest of secrecy and lies, Susan Fletcher battles to save the agency she believes in. Betrayed on all sides, she finds herself fighting not only for her country but also for her life, and in the end, for the life of the man she loves.

Review
This is absolutely my guilty pleasure! I have read this book many times and it never gets old for me. Susan Fletcher is a cryptographer for the secretive agency NSA. She has to cancel her romantic weekend away with fiancĂ© David when there's an emergency at work. And this isn't just any emergency - this could rock the foundations of American security agencies. Susan is the only one with a fighting chance of saving her agency, her country and the love of her life. 

I think Susan is a fantastic character in this book. She is very much a woman in a man's world but she has worked hard to achieve her post as head cryptographer. Susan has definitely proved herself to the people she works with.

I definitely don't want to spoil the plot for the people who have not read this book. Dan Brown creates a book which is not predictable in any way, there are twists and turns where you do not expect them. The plot is intriguing and I didn't want to put this book down. I think it must be the mathematician in me but I loved reading about all the codes the characters had to deal with. I found it really interesting that codes have been used by a variety of people including Julius Caeser. 

Overall this is a fantastic thriller and my personal favourite of Dan Brown's books. Definitely worth a read if you have read Dan Brown's Robert Langdon series.

5/5 Stars

My Song Choice: On A Mission by Gabriella Cilmi
Susan herself is a woman on a mission so this song fits perfectly for me.

Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...